About Abigail Ward
Curator | Producer | Presenter | DJ
I’m a co-founder of Manchester Digital Music Archive – an online crowd-sourced archive established to celebrate Greater Manchester music and its social history.
I also curate exhibitions and events, usually with a strong community focus.
I’m a producer, DJ and presenter with a radio show on NTS live. I specialise in podcasting and audio editing.
I work regularly as a freelance project manager for Drake Music – a charity that opens up access to music for disabled people of all ages.
I have expertise in:
• DJing, presenting and producing
• Audio editing
• Oral histories/interviewing
• Exhibition and event curation
• Website development
• Digital exhibition curation
• Digital content production
• Crowd-sourcing heritage
• Community engagement
• Community archives
• Social media
Other clients include: Boiler Room, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester Academy, The Refuge, Cornerhouse, The Lowry, Manchester Pride, People’s History Museum, University of Manchester, Liverpool John Moores University, Red Bull Music Academy, New Order / Warner Music Group.
– We Are Dynamite! Northern Carnival Against the Nazis 40th Anniversary exhibition at NIAMOS
– Queer Noise: The History of LGBT+ Music and Club Culture in Manchester at People’s History Museum
– Defining Me: Musical Adventures in Mcr – a major exhibition exploring music & identity at The Lowry
– Unknown Pleasures: a Joy Division exhibition at Macclesfield Museum
– Moss Side Stories: an online exhibition celebrating black music and club life in Moss Side & Hulme
Selected public speaking engagements:
– Dave Haslam & Abigail Ward – In Conversation event, Trafford Word Festival, Manchester
– Queer Noise: The History of LGBT+ Music and Club Culture in Manchester, University of Salford
– It’s Alright: A Celebration of Manchester’s Rave Heritage 1985-1995, Manchester Metropolitan University
– We Make Music Inclusive Music Festival, Amnesty International, London
– Connecting Communities Conference, University of Leeds
– National LGBT History Festival, Central Library, Manchester
– Putting Women Upfront, Women in Music panel, Ladyfest, Islington Mill
– Brix Smith Start & Abigail Ward – In Conversation event, The Ruby Lounge, Manchester
– Jon Savage & Abigail Ward – In Conversation event, Bird’s Nest Cafe, Shrewsbury