About Abigail Ward
Curator | Presenter | DJ | Artist
I’m a co-founder of Manchester Digital Music Archive – an online crowd-sourced archive established to celebrate Greater Manchester music and its social history.
I’m a musician, artist and DJ with a quarterly radio show on NTS live.
I specialise in curating exhibitions and events, usually with a strong community focus.
I work regularly as a freelance project manager for Drake Music – a charity that opens up access to music for disabled people of all ages.
I have expertise in:
• Exhibition and event curation
• Website development
• Digital exhibition curation
• Digital content production
• Crowd-sourcing heritage
• Community engagement
• Community archives
• Audio editing
• Oral histories/interviewing
• Social media
Other clients include: Boiler Room, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester Academy, The Refuge, Cornerhouse, The Lowry, Manchester Pride, People’s History Museum, University of Manchester, Liverpool John Moores University, Red Bull Music Academy, New Order / Warner Music Group.
– Queer Noise: The History of LGBT+ Music and Club Culture in Manchester at People’s History Museum
– Defining Me: Musical Adventures in Mcr – a major exhibition exploring music & identity at The Lowry
– Unknown Pleasures: a Joy Division exhibition at Macclesfield Museum
– Moss Side Stories: an online exhibition celebrating black music and club life in Moss Side & Hulme
Selected public speaking engagements:
– Dave Haslam & Abigail Ward – In Conversation event, Trafford Word Festival, 2018
– Queer Noise: The History of LGBT+ Music and Club Culture in Manchester, University of Salford, 2018
– Rod Connolly & Zoë McVeigh (Bollox Club) – In Conversation event, People’s History Museum, 2017
– It’s Alright: A Celebration of Manchester’s Rave Heritage 1985-1995, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2017
– Putting Women Upfront, Women in Music panel, Ladyfest, Islington Mill, 2017
– Access All Areas panel: How can cultural venues improve access for disabled people?, Z-arts, Manchester, 2017
– Brix Smith Start & Abigail Ward – In Conversation event, The Ruby Lounge, Manchester, 2016
– Jon Savage & Abigail Ward – In Conversation event, Bird’s Nest Cafe, Shrewsbury, 2016